"The Talented Mr. O'Brien . . . "

Greetings,

Good lord - how marvelously talented is Thomas O'Brien? Seriously. And his new book American Modern is being released. Can't wait? Here are a few images . . .

There is a great article in the latest issue of Canadian House and Home - with some great new shots of Thomas' place on 57th in New York. I swear, Thomas must change his apartment as often as I do - lol. But, a warm, comfortable aesthetic is a constant. A collection of beautiful textiles. And an ever expanding collection of artwork.



Beautifully layered. A great mix of classical and modern. Nicely edited art collection.

"The point of making a home with so much to look at was to relax
into the whole collection as something unfolding. I didn’t
acquire these things overnight. It took time to study and source
and wait for the right examples of favorite works. And I have
enjoyed each piece as it comes, observing how it settles in my space."
- Thomas O'Brien, from House and Home Magazine

A perfect example of clean masculine design.


"This circa 1950 Francis Bacon painting study marks a moment
when I was moving into a more serious level of collecting, buying
work by modern masters. I bought the worn first edition of
Berenice Abbott’s book Changing New York in a junk shop
years ago, when I was just starting out. To me, the book is
just as meaningful as the painting."
- Thomas O'Brien

Cheers,
tartanscot

Comments

Karena said…
Scot love the profile. Thomas is wonderfully cognizant of his design lean and surroundings.
I am now a follower, come see me!

Karena
Art by Karena
he is the best at what he does
great great style
cant wait to get
the book
melissa said…
The book is gorgeous - I browsed through it at Anthem last weekend. I think it might be out on pre-release. Amazon has it in their ranks already...

xo
LPC Designs said…
Thanks for the scoop on Thomas O'Brien's upcoming book. I will definitely have to check it out. I enjoy reading your blog and invite you to visit mine at www.lpcdesigns.blogspot.com. Have a great weekend.
margot said…
just about fainted when I received the preview PDF of the book a while back. Now have it in hard copy. Was gutted when I learned that House & Home was granted an exclusive on coverage of the book in Canada -- but that's the way they feel the need to do business. Personally I think there's room in the sandbox for all of us to play. Anyhoo, doesn't change how much I love the book. Nice tribute and post.

Popular Posts