"And the drawbridge closes . . . "


Greetings all,

Whew. Another busy weekend. As you all might have read a few posts back - I've decided to completely re-decorate my place this Spring. Frankly, it's been a long time coming - and I'm really excited to be started. Don't get me wrong, I loved my old house the way that it was. But, I needed to experiment with some new colours. to edit. to re-imagine. Maybe use a few of my favourite textiles that just never quite worked in the old plan. Oh, and I needed a bigger dining table. (I blame this entire project on the need for a bigger dining table.)

So now I'm spending my days and nights in my lovely home, but with only about 4 pieces of furniture. My bed. An antique mahogany dresser. An 12 foot long bookcase. The new dining table. Tons of table lamps all gathered together in a corner. And, quite frankly, a bit of an echo. lol. Everything else is out either being reupholstered, stored, or sold. So, no guests over to the house for a few months - unless they're helping me to paint.

But best of all, all of the empty space is giving me a great chance to edit through most of my possessions and see what I really need. To see what I'm just keeping because I've forgotten that I owned it. Do I really need to keep ALL of my competitive fencing gear? I know that stemware is from Ralph Lauren, but I never seem to use them. And you know, I never truly loved that little cocktail table in my bedroom - why not get rid of it and find something better.

And speaking of re-covering - here's a sneak peek at the one of a pair of vintage armchairs from my bedroom - formerly in olive velvet - but, soon to be gloriously resplendent in chartreuse silk.


So back to work. I'm getting a coat of paint on the cabinets in my kitchen this weekend. Something dark. Something dramatic. Something new.

Cracking a window first,
tartanscot

Comments

Splenderosa said…
Oh, Scot, how right you are! We must change things, even if we loved it for a long time. Time, alone, necessitates this. I LOVE the silk color, very dramatic and splendid. As with apparel & jewelry, it's not how much we change it, it's change enough to keep it current & relevant. xx's Marsha
Scot-
How exciting for you! There is nothing better than getting to spend money and time on your own home! Looking forward to seeing the results.

Happy Weekend!
David @ Ashfield Hansen Design
Sandra said…
That chair is going to be splendid! Love the color. Have a great day!
margot said…
Oh yum! Can't wait to see more.
Kifus said…
Hope to see lots of before and afters!

Have a great week, Scot!
Lisa Porter said…
Ahhh, that's what spring is all about! Looking forward to the new do. Love that beautiful deep chair. They just don't make them like that anymore. Always good to visit with you.
Lisa
Gabrielle Jones said…
Chartreuse Silk!!!! I Love it - enough that I wore it from my wedding to my honey moon where it promptly...oh, I've just met you! Love the chair shape and can't wait to see the finished home. an echo! Just add the ipod and your fave classical music...set the mood..
columnist said…
Is there something in the air? I have a great desire to edit too. I was just thinking that using my gorgeous Waterford glass is such a rarity nowadays. Should I change my whole lifestyle? I think it's going that way. It's very liberating to think so! Good luck with your redecorating. The colour of the silk is very bold, so like everyone who reads your blog, I will be fascinated to see the scheme develop.

Popular Posts