"Before and After, the Nook . . . "


Greetings,

It always interests me to see which images that I post here on my blog, or on my Facebook page, or on my Pinterest boards - that seem to get the most reaction.  I'll put up a collection of pictures from any given project - and *zoom* - one of them will start getting re-posted . . . and re-pinned . . . and re-blogged much more than any other . . . and the image above was just one of those shots.

It's from the commercial project that we've been working on here at the office for several years . . . and it IS one of my favourite moments from the project - and from the photo shoot.

So . . . since you all have such an affection for this little nook . . .


I thought I'd give you a little history on how it came about . . . .



So . . .




let's travel back into the past . . .






or maybe I could just pull pictures from the 'progress files' and start from there.



So.  This is where we started.  What you can't see in this image is that the walls are just simple cream painted drywall.  And a plain sheer over the windows.  But, I was brought it to give the space a much more 'residential' feel . . . so a few months later . . . 



Big progress.  The banquette was removed and traveled down to my upholstery shop to be re-covered in olive lambswool/cashmere - we added extra padding to increase the comfort - and a deep tufting treatment to give the textile some extra strength.  You'll notice that we've replaced the light fixture to give the space a little interest - and added a beautiful wallpaper from Philip Jefferies in a cobalt blue.   There are new decorative pillows just adding even more comfort . . . and giving us a little pattern to play with.  (it's actually kinda funny as I look back through the project - these pillows all seem to move about fairly regularly - until they find the perfect home.  I always make pillows and decoratives with a specific place in mind - but, I love being on site - and just experimenting with all our options) 


Now.  To update the side chairs that face the banquette.   I was lucky to have a set of antique chairs loitering around on the project that needed a home.  So they got a quick trip to the upholstery shop as well . . . for a fresh coat of english herringbone tweed fabric.  Adding several miles of brass nailhead never did a side chair wrong either . . . 


In progress.  Waiting for the nailhead trim. 


Once everything had been installed, we added a few simple pieces of art along the left wall - just to break up the wainscoting and give the space a little visual interest right at eye-level.   We also added the beautiful rug from Stark Carpet . . . again giving the whole room a much more 'homey' feeling. 


And one of the biggest improvements was the addition of the linen damask draperies framing the window.  The view is not really anything interesting . . . and the addition at the window treatments gives the space an intimacy and sense of privacy that it hadn't ever had before.   It's truly a tiny little space in the project - but, often these little nooks need the most attention.  Because of their small size - every detail will be noticed.  And because the little nook is so intimate - creating the deep sense of privacy would certainly not go unnoticed. 


Cheers,
Scot

Comments

The changes truly make me realize how much I am not a professional designer or design expert. I am an accessorizer, a finder of gorgeous fabric, a shopper and finder of gorgeous antiques. But in no way could I have pulled off what you did here. SO impressive! Love the vision, love the follow through!
XO
jan
Andrea said…
ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!!! I wish I had a nook like this to replicate this look!
Anonymous said…
Brilliant! That is a keeper!!

Penelope
Merlin said…
The chairs are genius! franki
I prefer that add on. Smart idea.
Scot,
You are so right, there is something about this little space that just grabs me. I zeroed in on the rug first...I want that rug! :-) But the herringbone and nail heads on the chairs and the button and tuck on the banquet, I love it and want to sit down there and enjoy the coffee and croissant, yes please.
Karen
you are absolutely brilliant scot........
debra
Beautiful! We'll meet you for breakfast!

Popular Posts