"As The Fan Deck Turns . . . "


Greetings,

The interior design process is never quite as linear as one might expect it to be.  At least that's true for me.  There are blissful moments of pure, theoretical design.  But, soon afterwards - we all have to deal with things like back-order dates and budget constraints . . . and making what sometimes feel like 'Sophie's Choice' level decisions.  Where we might want to spend extra funds . . . or what could be worth the wait based on lead-times.   It's beautiful . . . but, not for 16 weeks.  Yin.  And yang.  Maybe this.  But, then maybe not that?  

But, much like hard-set concrete . . . at its earliest points . . . it's all kinda fluid . . . 



So in today's concrete mixing truck (remember those trucks that you would see driving through town . . . with the logo right-side-up . . . and then up-side-down . . . then right-side-up again - as it slowly threaded its way to the construction site) . . . 

(this is clearly going to one of those 'stream-of-consciousness' posts . . . I can just tell . . . )



With lots of elipses.  And parenthetical information . . . lol.  (like this) . . . and this . . . 


So . . . what's in today's concrete mixer?   (I'm very clearly seeing the SMW Design truck driving around San Francisco . . . with our logo slowly revolving)  Ideas still fluid . . . but, decisions need to be made.  We're working on the perfect green for the front door for one of our current projects.  
Apple?  Kelly?  Lime?  Forest?  


So . . . I've just been pulling any image that strike me.  Truly, inspiration can come from anything and anywhere.  (The images for this post were simply collected from my pinterest page . . . I've had 'green' on my mind for kind of a while now) How about the tart, apple-y green of a needlepoint slipper . . . 


Or a clearer . . . bolder green.  From a bright cotton chino blazer . . . 

Oscar de la Renta.
Something much more dramatic . . . .


Or much deeper and more mysterious . . . almost a black . . . 


Maybe something with a little more blue . . . 


The other crazy part of dealing with any paint colour . . . is . . . there's the colour you choose.  And then there's the colour you have to paint it to look like the colour you chose in the specific lighting of the space.  Well . . . depending on what time of day it is.  

If ever there were one . . . 'paint' is a moving target. 

Michael Bastian, Fall 2010
So, for those of you who think I just sit around all day picking out tassel-fringe for decorative pillows and sipping coffee are woefully mistaken . . . lol . . .  


Because . . . I'm seeing a front door in my near future.  Painted 6 to 8 differing shades of green.  And visited several times over the course of several days to find the perfect answer.  And the 'sipping coffee' part will be much more of a 'swigging coffee in the car' on the way over to see what the paint looks like in the afternoon sun.  And in the fog. 


And I also need to find tassel-fringe.  (because a little decorative trim never did a pillow wrong . . . )


Knock.  Knock.  Knock. 
"Is the right colour here?"

Cheers,
Scot

Comments

mikky said…
Wow love the rich greens of those first two front doors and the electric green of the Oscar de la Renta dress. The shade of green on the Austin Healey is a classic, but really I`d just love to own a vintage car like that!

:)
mikky
www.todaloos.com
Brion R. Judge said…
I love this post Scot..green is my favoutire colour. The image with the guy and the bike is killing me because I've been looking for a pair of pants that exact colour (much to no avail...just like the butler's stick). And the Austin Healey in British Racing Green is amazing and my favourite shade of green to boot.
vignette design said…
Just painted my kitchen cabinets green. A French green with a brown glaze. A green front door! I can see it too! Love all your examples, but that Austin Healey is the bomb! ~Delores
We are so on the same page! I have a "black and white and green all over" post ready to go.. with several of these images! Love your version! We have such great taste!
Jan
Diogenes said…
If you are going with a black and white scheme, I suspect that any green you've presented here, with the exception of the boat house and both jackets and the slippers, will be fabulous. It needs to have some vibrancy.
Karena said…
Really love the first two green doors!! A beautiful shade, classic I think!

2012 Artist Series featuring the gifted Decorative Painter Theresa Cheek

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena
Oh yes, that Kelly green is so incredibly fabulous right now. Certainly on all designer radars these days! Loved the post. Shiree'
Scot,
Love this post! I don't think you could go wrong with any of the greens that are painted on the doors you show. Some of the clothing colors might translate, but not sure. How fun this was, promise to show us the end result if at all possible.
Karen
KMD Interiors said…
Love your post and so timely. This has definitely been a yin and yang kinda of day dealing with several backorders. You summed it up so well! Can't wait to see the green you choose. Off to get another cup of coffee :)
Suzanne said…
It is posts like this one that keeps me coming back to your blog again and again. A simple meandering on the color green; a front door color - sounds simple, yet it is a nuanced and complex decision as you describe it. Lovely.
Scot,

Once again you'be brightened out day!

Bubble & Squeak
Do let us know how many cups of coffee = the right shade of green.

This winter I had 11 samples of green. on the ceiling of my kitchen/library-dining room. I know, swimming against the tide with a darker ceiling. It was a very interesting study of light on ceiling vs wall. The young electrician's apprentice walked in and said, "Dude, you're going camo. Cool!" Sigh....
Sarah said…
Love all these images. I'd like a pair of the needlepoint slippers and a green Austin Healey in my garage. ;-)
Our front door is green ~ more in the forest green family.
Tretswelt said…
Hallo!Wow!Dein Blog ist schön...gefällt mir.Die Farbe Grün auch...Schönes Wochenende.Bussi.Luciene.
Maggie O said…
Definetly the racing green, or maybe the first door, or there again the second door...oh I see what you are up against...off to BM's to check out there paint now that I am more than motivated...thanks for that...and whatever you pick it will be fabulous...please let us know.
Flos said…
This winter I had 11 samples of green. on the ceiling of my kitchen/library-dining room. I know, swimming against the tide with a darker ceiling. It was a very interesting study of light on ceiling vs wall. The young electrician's apprentice walked in and said, "Dude, you're going camo. Cool!"
Unknown said…
Green has become my favorite color! I'm looking at silver greens right now! :)

Popular Posts