"Meanwhile, Back in San Francisco . . . "

Jamie Drake, as inspired by Grace Kelly

Greetings All,

Well, it was the best of plans. This week - during the "Design San Francisco" events - my plan was to post jaunty updates each day of the lectures and presentations I was attending during the week. And, if you are a regular reader - well, you'll know that THAT just never quite came to pass.

So here - on a late Friday evening - I'm going to attempt to re-cap the highlights of this week's activities.

I thought I'd start working in reverse order . . .


Friday morning started fast and bright - right out of the gates (without nearly enough sleep and/or coffee in my system) with the glamorous Jamie Drake. Stylish. Witty. And a devilish sense of humour. The perfect beginning to my day. (and the perfect antidote to my slow moving morning!)

He had collected a series of images of his new book (with great stories of his own home and several show house projects) and each image was highlighted with memories of the specific projects - as well as some insights into his design process.


An shot from Drake's own home.

He admitted that he was not a huge fan of this bright yellow, but it gave the
space an amazing presence.

"Surprise and movement - that's what I like. Colors both ground and animate the space."
- Jamie Drake


Kip's Bay Showhouse, 2007.
Photographer Nick Johnson.

"I premiered my fabric line with Shumaker at the 2007 Kip's Bay Showhouse. Literally wrapped in the collection, I upholstered the walls in silk moire, covered the bed in cut-silk velvets, and draped the windows in snappy silk stripe."
- Jamie Drake


One of Thursday's highlight was a mid-day talk by Bunny Williams. She, as well, brought a collection of images - and delighted everyone her stories of design - and even better, her perspective on life and living in beautiful spaces.

Bunny Williams, from Elle Decor

"In her Manhattan apartment, designer Bunny Williams heightens the drama of a 1930s mirrored bed by embellishing it with an extraordinary embroidered Indian silk panel. The bed is dressed with a simple coverlet and linens by Léron."

After Bunny finished speaking - I sprinted upstairs to Shears & Window to hear Suzanne Tucker preview her new fabric collection. Yay. Beautiful.

Wednesday started out strong with the keynote speech brought by Margaret Russell, editor of Elle Decor, highlighting the images chosen from her new book "Style and Substance."

Followed by the great pleasure of hearing Eric Cohler speak at Lee Jofa - and I'm getting a post together from that lecture.

And Tuesday night - Margaret Russell was the special guest at an event at Gumps - that seemed to be absolutely packed to the gills with people. Here's a quick shot with Katie Denham (l) and myself.

And here's Margaret - charming as ever -
with Marta Benson (l) and Gene Ogden (r) of Gumps.

It's been a great week. And I'm practically packed with inspiration. And I'm practically pooped beyond exhaustion. The next few days I'll be curled up in bed - with Margaret's, Bunny's, and Jamie's books. freshly autographed. and packed with great ideas.

Best,
tartanscot

Comments

Mrs. Blandings said…
Lucky you - can't wait to hear the rest.
it was almost overwhelming . . . lol . . .
Daniel Shigo said…
Oh yes! Love the pink blazer, jeans and smart shoes. Presence!
Karena said…
What an event, can't wait to hear more about it!
Karena
Sandra said…
I wasn't there, but I know you were the most debonair gentleman in attendance! Love the ensemble.
Unknown said…
My goodness. How awesome. I wish I lived in a metropolitan city that attracted such talents! I absolutely adore Jamie Drake. I may have passed out if I met him in person!
I'm just over from Spice of Life ~ what a great blog!
Gwen Driscoll said…
Sounds like you all had a great week. So glad. Wish I was close enough to come to these kinds of events. Talk soon.
Anonymous said…
Greeting for the day!!

I am new to this site. I found loads of useful information here. Please accept my little contribution towards community. I would like to share some [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]quick weight loss tips[/url]. If you want to know how to lose 10 lb in a calendar week, you are believably not seeing for a regular dieting and work out plan. You can lose weight with a basic diet and workout plan, However this requires a lot of time doing utmost cardio practises and binding to a strict diet. Here I will draft the exact steps that I took to lose 10 pounds in just a week.

1. Stay away from all fried nutrients for the week
2. Drink In an 8oz glass of Citrus paradisi with breakfast every day. (this speeds up your metabolism)
3. Take average portions (stop taking when you are full)
4. Instead of taking 3 large a meals a day, eat 5-6 small meals to keep your metabolism up and keep your body burning fat.
5. Do not eat anything after 9pm. When you eat that late your body does not burn off the calories.
6. Get plenty of sleep every night. Not taking adequate rest has been proven to be a ranking factor to the body storing excess fat.
7. Apply a body/colon cleanse for the 7 days. This will get rid of unneeded fat stored just about the stomach area as well as cleanse your body of harmfull pollutants that cause you store fat and feel tired. Flush away excess pounds around the stomach area that otherwise would be hard to lose.
8. I reccomend you using Acai Berry Diet Pills. This one is tested to work, and you can get a free trial.
9. For those man's/womans who need to burn fat quickly, avoid alcoholic beverage.
10[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] A low GI diet is an brilliant method of loosing fat quickly.

Thanks![url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com].[/url]!
katiedid said…
I was sooooo sad to miss Bunny Williams and Jamie Drake, and of course Margaret's talk, but I am looking forward to your recaps!!!

And who is tht anon who talks of weight loss?!?! we all look fabulous as is!!! Gauche! ;)
you look dashing!

what an event, lucky you! figures i am coming to s.f. and nothing will be happening.....

have been to several of bunny's talks and found her down to earth and approachable. hear jamie drake is fun, like the reference "devilish sense of humor"...my kind of guy!
thanks for sharing scott
debra
Renae Moore said…
What a lucky guy you are to have kept such great company. Enjoy your books...I want them!

Popular Posts