"Across a Crowded Room . . . "



Greetings,

Remember when you first fell in love.  Sometimes it's just a crystal clear moment of seeing someone across a bustling room.  At a restaurant.  At a bar.  At someone's holiday party.  Eyes locking onto each other.  The rest of the world . . . melting away.   Silence.  


With Valentine's Day fast approaching . . . I've been thinking about love these last few days.  And the things that make love last.  The little things.  Like the way my heart begins to race a little bit when we see each other across a room.  


Like we did the first time we met in a crowded restaurant.  Making sure that my shirt was tucked in properly.  Glancing in a mirror to make sure my hair looked right.  And then looking up - across the room - and 'wow.'  I think one of the keys to keeping a relationship bright and vibrant is remembering 'that look.'  And the way it made you tingle.  Keeping a close connection to that first spark of love. 


And keeping this idea in mind, let's talk about our homes.  Remember when you first moved in?  Walking through those empty, echoing rooms?  Your imagination spinning with ideas.  Making plans.  Mentally playing with paint colours.  Putting down newspaper to represent the layout of the furniture.  Imagining all the parties.  The Sunday mornings reading the paper on the sofa.  A cup of tea before bedtime.


I hope we're able to 'keep that love alive' when we're talking about our homes as well.  Maybe we could even set an arbitrary date on the calendar when we celebrate the love we have for the space we live in.  Because we all know that you and the house have fights at times.  I've been know to go to bed - angry with my bedroom.  So, though it may not be perfect (few relationships are!) - let's remember to love our homes.  Keeping that first spark of romance alive.




So take a good look at your house.  Tell it that you love it.  Buy it some flowers every now and then to let it know.  And seriously, what house out there doesn't like to get a new set of window treatments every now and then . . . 


Trust me.  When you look lovingly at your house . . . it will return both your gaze and your affection. 


Cheers,
Scot

Comments

lindaraxa said…
I don't know which one to pick! Having just moved into a new home I know exactly what you mean and trust me, we tell her (it's definitely a she) we love her every single day. Great post.
Very cleaver post. I think we have all had a certain love-hate relationship with certain aspects of our living spaces. I am one of those fortune people who love their home and dread the day I am forced to leave it. A happy Valentine's Day to you.
CeceliaMc said…
Where's Steve McQueen?

Damien Lewis?

I watched The Getaway not too long ago and was so stunned by Ali MacGraw's enormous beauty that I think I've developed a girlmance with her.

I'm with you though. Whether a look, a laugh, a leaf, a loggia (...it's hard thinking of rooms that start with an L), never let anyone tell you that aesthetics are shallow or superfluous.

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty", is true too in the sense that beauty was first and beautiful was how things were meant to be from the first.

To love it, to seek it, to want it ALL back, is part of a longing for God.
Reggie Darling said…
Now, that was a fun post. Wasn't quite sure along the where it was going, but the trip there was marvelous, and the closing sentiment most clever, and true!
Anonymous said…
Love, love, love your blog this Sunday morning. You are so right; it is a relationship with your home. Thanks for being so insightful. Pics were fab too.....
CarolAnn Sinclair
Really clever analogy. Great post.
Karena said…
Very interesting Scot! Adore all of the Men! Love the analogy to our homes!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena
Sarah said…
Clever post, Scott. Smiled all the way down to the end. ~ Sarah
Cynna said…
The heck with the house (which is clean, loved, and has flowers, etc.)! I call dibs on the guy in the first shot, but if he's taken I'll settle for guy in the fifth frame. :)
Summers Cottage said…
Classic - all are gorgeous classics. I just wish my house was as well... Thank you for the reminder!
Karen T. said…
What a really lovely post, Scot!
CÉLINE CHOLLET said…
Paul Newman, Gary grant, Robert Redford... !
Thanks for this pictures !
Céline.
design elements said…
Smiled all the way down to the end too and also wonder where is Steve

Happy Monday
Vickie H. said…
Yep! Steve should be in there for sure! I absolutely ADORED this post...very timely for us as we have been "fighting" with our home a little bit lately. But we are finally ironing out our differences, slowly but surely! Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours, Scot!
tammy j said…
this post is sublime. far better than chocolate. really.
and to end it with 'matthew.' well... words fail me.
i am in love with my little cottage. the only thing i would change is where it resides. i long to be near mountains or the sea. but que sera ta da.
blooming where i'm planted.
love,
tammy j
Diane Stewart said…
Hey Scott, glad to see we have the same excellent taste in men! Love your interiors too...
Errant Aesthete said…
I was so dazzled by the thumbnail photo of Paul Newman on Reggie Darling's sidebar, I felt compelled to drop by and tell you so. Wonderful post!
vignette design said…
You had me at Paul Newman! Talk about making my heart race! RIP Paul...
But seriously, a great post the way you segued to our homes. I am forever romancing my home. Buying it flowers, lighting candles, fluffing the pillows and spiffing up. At 106 years old, my house has finally reached its full potential. It is in its glory and I'm still in love with it! Happy Valentine's Day! ~Delores
helen tilston said…
What a delightful post. You missed Dirk Bogarde --my heart throb.
As your new follower I look forward to your visit and comment.

My best
Helen
CeceliaMc said…
Happy St. Valentine's Day, Scot!

chttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0I6mhZ5wMw
Anonymous said…
Now that was a memorable Valentine! Thanks. M.
Wow, wow, wow. I second your sentiments Scot and appreciated the pictorial. Another amazing post by a wonderful writer. Shiree'
Scot, such a great post! About love, you reminded me of William and Kate- have you noticed she smiles at him every single time he looks at her? Every time. In almost any picture of them together, if he's looking at her, she is smiling. Easy to forget how simple that is. About house love, thinking about the movie St. Elmos Fire, ages ago. Mare Winningham's character finally moves into her own apartment and says she got up in the middle of the night for a peanut butter sandwich and, in her own kitchen, it was the best peanut butter sandwich she's ever had. I remember feeling that way- that thrilling house-love-at-first-sight.
Cameo said…
I dunno,......I think UR cuter than all these guys!!! Glad to see you back to work~ the holidays are over and I need you everyday like a cup of tea!! Chop~chop!!!!!
Cameo

Popular Posts