"Walking the Dog . . . "


Greetings,

- a conversation between Rhonda Hirata, the Marketing Director of the SF Design Center and me -

"Scot, I have a quick question to ask - do you have a dog?"

"Um . . . . no, I don't.  But, I have access to an amazing dog, Redford.  What do you need?"

Me and Redford.  a German short-haired Pointer.  Owned by Joe and Stacy, two
great friends and super-great clients.

"We're having a Dog Fashion Show here at the Design Center to raise money for The Canine Companions for Independence in February.  You just need to design an outfit for Redford, using textiles from the design center, and then take part in the show.  Interested?"


"Absolutely. I'd love to help out."



(my internal dialogue)

"Hmmmmm.  What should I design for the show?  Well,  I spend so much of my time with Redford and Joe trail running every weekend . . . so, something outdoorsy could be good"


"Maybe even something with a hunting motif.  Redford is after all a hunting breed"


"Some beautiful tweeds and plaids.  Maybe some lush chocolate velvet for a collar treatment?"

Shopping at Kravet for textiles . . . 

(several days later, the telephone rings . . . )


"Good afternoon.  This is Scot."

"Hey Scot.  It's Rhonda from the Design Center.  Discovery Channel is showing some interest in covering the Haute Dog Fashion Show.  Would you be interested in filming some 'behind-the-scenes' footage for the show?"

At the Kravet Showroom in SF with showroom manager, Lisa Davis.


"Sure.  What are they looking for?"

"Well, I know you've been shopping at Kravet for the fabrics for the outfit.  Could they get some film of you shopping . . . ?"

"Sure!"  


(A week or so later, the telephone rings . . . )


"Good afternoon, this is Scot."

"Hey Scot.  I'm from the Discovery Channel - we'll plan to be in SF next week . . . could we also take some time and get on on-camera interview with you . . . ?


"Absolutely.  We could even set up at the office for the interview.  Would that work for you?"

So keep an eye out - I'll let you know if the show airs . . . none the less - it's been a great project to be involved with.  If you want more information on the event - click here.  Tickets are still available if you're in the area and want to come and see the style and hilarity.

Cheers,
Scot

Comments

Turling said…
That's fantastic. If the dog ends up in traditional fox hunting attire (with black boots even!) you'll win hands down. Oh, wait, maybe it's not a contest...
What a fun project for a great cause! I hope we get to see it.
Paisley Curtain said…
What an interesting project. I am imagining Redford in tweeds :) Looking forward for the episode on Discovery channel.
Scot, What a fantastic opportunity and a fun project. I hope it airs. You're becoming such a celebrity. And it couldn't happen to a more delightful person!
It sounds as though it has taken on a life of its own, but what does Redford think about it?

Could we see a reconstruction of the first photo, with you ahem wearing what the setter is wearing, and Redford in a Norfolk jacket and plus fours, and in particular with that expression on his face?
Daniel Shigo said…
Great project! And I love your beautifully-aged office carpet.
FairyFiligree said…
Such a coincidence - yesterday met this tough dog who is 15 years old and has degenerated to wearing incontinence pads and walking around in circles due to neurological problems and has cataracts as well. But he still sports a brown leather and fur bomber jacket... Can you picture that + diaper? He's lovable nonetheless!
Redford is a clone of my own GSH pointer so I am even more interested in this adventure... and I am sure you'll create some great outfit that enhances the beauty, dignity, class of this breed. Looking forward to watch every single step.
tammy j said…
oh my goodness! two such gorgeous creatures... you and redford.
(and since i am a fan of the other redford... yes, robert) i immediately thought of a headgear like he wore in jeremiah johnson for redford. so glad you have esquisite taste... and you're leaning toward english tweeds. lol.
thank you for another beautiful still of my favorite show!
now awaiting with anticipation for national 'discovery' of my favorite designer!
tammy j
ps... be sure to remember to tell redford, the heat from the lights and the discomfort will only be for a very short while...
at least i hope so!
tammy j said…
exquisite. taste. yes.
Karena said…
You go Scot, wow one thing leads to another!

Oh I adore seeing any image from Downton Abbey; with the dogs, wonderful!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena
Vickie H. said…
Woo Hoo! ABSOLUTELY CANNOT WAIT!!!
Pigtown*Design said…
I see a new career in your future! I can't wait to see what you create!
Stacy CUrran said…
Some things are meant to be, and I'd say this qualifies. I bet it airs!
Stacy
Karen T. said…
Wow! How exciting! Let us all know when it airs!
Linda in AZ * said…
*** The FIRST TWO PHOTOS, with the GERMAN SHORTHAIRED POINTER, TOUCH my HEART like you can't even BELIEEEEVE, for we have TWO of these most incredible, loving, good natured, fabulous hunting dogs... they're... well, quite honestly, the loves of our lives... Jim hunts with them (& takes FAB care of them, of COURSE!!!) and "I" ("Mom") love on them constantly, even begging (and winning that "beg"!) to let them sleep in bed with us, etc... SPOILED???......... Yes, W*E are!!!!!!

Warmest wishes & THANK YOU Scot, for showing OTHERS these incredible four-footers!!! (And I would LOVE to getg my hands on a 4x6 of that first photo, kiddo!!!!!! Hint, hint!!!)...

Linda in AZ *
bellesmom1234@comcast.net
Linda in AZ * said…
P.S. BTW, you and REDFORD are tooooo cute!!! I think you'd LOVE having your very own "Redford"... best dogs in the worls!!! XO, Linda "
That dog is almost as cute as you are! Can't wait to see the outfit you choose.
Wow. Very exciting indeed. It seems a natural progression. You are looking fab in the footage.

cheers-Emily Vanderputten
What fun! I hope they leave you some time to actually make the outfit! : )
Susie said…
Scot,How wonderful. Best of luck. Smiles to you,Susie
vignette design said…
I'm soooo excited! Everything: you, the dogs, the fabrics, the show. Wonderful! ~Delores
Sarah said…
What a fun idea. Would love to see this when it airs. ~ Sarah
Anonymous said…
Bravo for you, Scot! This is not only a great project, but you are a great guy to do this.

Love that pointer anc can't wait to see the outfit and the show.
Dear Scot,

I am writing to apologize to you!
I recently posted a little plaid thing and showed tartan and plaid rooms found mostly on Pinterest.
There was a spectacular plaid office I featured and the source I found it through claimed it was Ralph Lauren's office in one of his homes.

Oh please do forgive me, Scot. One of your loyal fans caught the mistake and kindly commented to let me know. I am so sorry about that. I have changed it on the post.

I am a huge fan of yours and will look forward to one day buying a coffee table book of your images and design work!

Please accept my apologies for not giving correct credit for such a fabulous room.

Best regards,
Alison

Popular Posts