"Holiday Confessions . . . "


Greetings,

Well, I'm sure we've all had a busy holiday weekend.  I know I did.  Good food.  Good friends.  And good heavens, it is almost Christmas.  I've already gotten several entries for the holiday contest (there's more about it HERE.)  I assume you're all running a little behind - just like I am. 

With Thanksgiving being so late in November this year, and such a short 'proper' Christmas season - I really felt the pressure to get my holiday decorating started over the weekend.  Now . . . it's time for some really serious holiday confession.  So sit down.

This year I used a fake tree.  Yes, gasp.  Honestly . . . I have a very full plate over the month of December (both with business as well as some personal and business travel), and I was a bit worried about keeping a tree fresh and healthy over the course of the month - even with the shortened season.   So after a certain amount of soul-searching, I dug back into the back of the warehouse for the fake tree.

And here it is in all of its glory. 

But, as with so many things in the world - one has to weigh the pros and cons and make a decision.  So, onward.  Each year I endeavor to make the tree specific to a particular theme.  This year, I really wanted to play with the idea of a proper Edwardian holiday.  Most decorations were chosen because they either 'were,' or certainly 'felt,' antique or homemade.

These charming little faux-fruit ornaments were embellished with glitter and crushed crystals. 

And I love these tiny birds.  There are about 20 of these nestled in the branches.  

And even more, larger birds as well.

My favourite Scotsman - and the solid-brass clips for real candles. 

And little tartan riding coats and jodhpurs from Ralph Lauren.
Polo sold these in the early 90's, and I bought tons of them.  It's been a few
years since I've used them . . . and I really love how they 'plaid-up' the tree. 

And here she is.  Wrapped in lights and dripping with gold beads.
A little more 'spare' than I've done in years past - but, the perfect 
addition to the Christmas spirit at the house this year.

Yes - I have lit the candles.  It's kinda magical.

Ok.  I've shown y'all mine.  Start sending in yours.

Cheers - and Happy Holidays,
Scot

Comments

Magical! Just like everything else that you do!

I hope you have a wonderful week and I hope that one of the things on your plate this year is a book! I would love to have a book of all of your designs.
marlene said…
Absolutely magical!!! You would never know that it was artificial.
katiedid said…
Love it all! But particularly the candles. I have small candles that are blown glass that are Victorian, but not enough for the whole tree. i am going to google search for more right now! You have inspired me!
Blog Author(s) said…
I too love real trees. I switched to fake trees the year after my sister-in-law's house burned down due to a tree fire. Your 2013 tree looks splendid.
Lisa D. said…
Dear Scot,
Your tree is beautiful. (Where, pray tell, does one find a good, real looking artificial tree?) I have always decorated a real one. I've always felt either a real tree or no tree at all, but I have to confess, that it's becoming more of a chore every year. This year, for the first time in my life, I went out and bought, yes, gasp, a real tree that I had flocked! Not flocked all over, just on the tips where snow would naturally fall. It actually looks quite beautiful and because of the flocking I was able to get away with far less lights and decoration. It has a sort of a quiet, dreamy, majestic quality. (I'm dreaming of a quiet Christmas.)

Lisa D.
Karena said…
Scot your tree is gorgeous. I adore the plaid ornaments and the beaded garland draped so artfully!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena
Chloe Crabtree said…
IT may be a fake tree, but it is beautiful! I love the plaid! Thank you for sharing!
Hi Scot!

I must agree with Elizabeth.... 2014 should be the year for your first coffee table book?
What do you think?!!

Happy holidays.
Alison
Sarah said…
Chiming in about the book…….yes, yes, yes this needs to be the year! ;-)
This tree is magical. What a beauty with the candles, gold beads, and tartan touches. Bravo!
Unknown said…
Your post is wonderful. I am very happy to read this blog and will come again. Thanks. Bedroom Decor ideas

Popular Posts