"The Talented Mr. Smith . . . "


Good Morning,

My infatuation with the madly talented Michael Smith has been fairly well documented.  For me, he is the perfect hybrid of classic English design and modern American style.  Following is a quick tour through his amazing home in southern California.


A charming collection blue and white vessels display the bounty of the garden in the entry.


"'I am such an Anglophile,' says the designer, who admits with a laugh that he occasionally says 'drawing room' when he means living room."


I recall Mr. Smith (I had the pleasure of hearing him speak last month) related his love of canopy beds.  He loves the sense of privacy and comfort that they create.  Seriously, who wouldn't want to face the day waking up in this lovely space.

"In the master bedroom, a Sony flat-screen TV perches on a ducal-quality gilt-and-marble console.  Even the beds have allure, each a tumble inviting jumble of crisp Porthault linens, chintz cushions, curious fabrics from Morocco, and sprightly pillowcases from India."



"People think California is all about guacamole and Eames furniture, but we have a big tradition of pretty houses, too.  One of my favorites things Joan Didion ever wrote was about California style with needlepoint rugs, potted orchids, and Rigaud candles.  That pretty much sums this place up."



and seriously, this might be one of the most beautiful bathroom I've ever seen.  The free standing bathtub actually faces french doors leading to the garden.  And you've got to love a man with well-organized closets.  lol.

photographs by Simon Upton

Comments

Do you know the absolute FIT I am having?!? MS is just too talented. That marble topped table--gasp! It's just everything! Oh, and that dressing room/bath-gracious! It's just all too much!

Must go have oxygen treatment now! Thanks, Tartanscot! I've loved every bit!
Mrs. Blandings said…
Love his style and he's referencing Didion? Now I'm in even deeper.
I love post showcasing designers and thier work or persoal homes. Loved this post. I did one simular today as well...
Lovely post. Lovely talent.
Scott Fazzini said…
That bathroom kills me! What beauty!
I'm so glad he's getting so much press lately: he's so talented and been a favorite of mine for a few years now! I remember when I first cut out the picture of his bathroom thinking it was the most chic room i've ever seen: I still do! Team M.S.!
I remember seeing an article about a home he had done in London, in Eaton Square (in Belgravia, my favorite part of London). As an anglophile, he must have been in absolute heaven doing that project!
Mr. Peacock said…
I love Michael Smith's work...
love the dressing area with the bathtub and garden!!!
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular Posts