"Need to vent . . . "



Oh Lord,

Those of you in the design business (or anyone who has ever ordered anything that was not readily available from a showroom floor) know that certain things are never actually true.

"We mailed your samples yesterday."  most likely means that the aforementioned 'we' is on the way to the post office right then.

"Back-order should take about 10 - 12 weeks."  more likely 14 - 18 weeks.

"It'll be there by Friday."  yeah, right.

So here's the back-story:  The custom ottoman that I ordered for a new, and wonderful, client about 7 weeks ago, was going to be ready for delivery in 4 weeks.  (this already looks bad, doesn't it?), it was picked up by the delivery service only to discover that they had made the wrong ottoman and needed to start over.   Custom carving, custom stain, custom, custom, custom . . . and would be ready in two weeks.

The new (second) ottoman was completed last Thursday and ready for pick-up with delivery this week.  It was picked-up on Tuesday from LA and on its happy way up the west coast for delivery in SF today.

When I called this morning to confirm delivery time, I was informed that it was actually being picked-up in LA right then, whilst I was on the phone, and they couldn't confirm delivery time until next week. 

I just wish someone (anyone!) had told me what was actually going on.  I would have happily, really, flown to LA yesterday, rented a small truck, zipped over to Disneyland for a few hours (Matterhorn, Pirates, Indiana Jones), swung by and picked-up the ottoman, drove to SF, and delivered it last night . . . but no.  I'm spending my day trying to accomplish what seems like the easiest of tasks - having a delivery service - deliver something. 

Whew.  just needed to scream for a moment.  lol.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Thursday.



Comments

Anonymous said…
I was just explaining almost this very same thing to my sister the other day! so frustrating... at least yours is in the right country!
Scott Fazzini said…
That's always the case. I've realized that it's much easier to "pad" the estimated time that you get before giving to your client. It's ALWAYS better for something to arrive unexpectedly early. Ugh, these things are frustrating! Oh, the life of a decorator! : )
DesignTies said…
Things like this have happened to me personally (some pull-out drawers for my kitchen cabinets comes to mind - close to a year!)... but since I'm new to the home decor/remodeling field I have yet to experience something like this with a client. While I'm sorry to read that you're having to problem-solve around this, I'm soooo glad you wrote about it. I need to remember the (usual) truth behind "delivery in 2 weeks"!!
Thanks!
Victoria: EdinDesign Interiors @ DesignTies

P.S. You'll have to post a pic or 2 of this infamous ottoman!
katiedid said…
Hahaha! I know EXACTLY what you mean...and don't worry...you can vent to us anytime...because we truly do understand!

Indiana Jones Woohoo!
katiedid said…
Hahaha! I know EXACTLY what you mean...and don't worry...you can vent to us anytime...because we truly do understand!

Indiana Jones Woohoo!
Oh yes. I can relate. I have found that the worst thing to wait for is backordered fabric. I once waited over 5 months for a Colefax and Fowler linen to be woven!! Fortunately, the house was being remodeled entirely, which took quite a while, so the clients never had to know about the long wait for the fabric. But I was definitely twitchy.
update :

The ottoman is being delivered first thing Friday morning. I'm going to swing by the house and double check everything on my way to another project.

Diana - you ROCK !
yes, but isn't it all worth it when you get the final piece PERFECT? All the stress just melts away!
My number one pet peeve: someone saying one thing and doing another. Just shoot straight! If they couldn't get the delivery done the way you wanted, they should have said something outright. So frustrating! To top it off, you might have wanted a little road trip. So many fun things to discover! Ha! Hope it all works out just the way you want!
AD,

Yes. I always think it's kinda like childbirth (not that I would know . . . lol) but, the pain of it ALL goes away once the project is done. lol.

congrats on your place ! Yay !
Blue Muse said…
Reading this made my eye start twitching with stress. LOL. I'm sorry this happened - breathe. It will be there soon and will be gorgeous! =)
Happy weekend!
xo Isa
vicki archer said…
Sorry you missed out on Disneyland! What a nightmare - sometimes I think life is just all about waiting for other people - maddening. Have a more tranquil weekend, xv.
vicki,

I guess the good news is that, now, when I go down to Disneyland, I can spend all the time I want . . . lol.

Everything was delivered today. successfully. I spent most of my day supervising the delivery at another project.

And my weekend is going to be getting ready for a photoshoot here at the house on Wednesday evening. things are coming together slowly, but surely.

thanks for your good wishes!
Pigtown*Design said…
I just went through something with FedEx. They delivered something to the house but it had to be signed for. When I called to find out when they could re-deliver it, they said between 7-9 the next day. Perfect, a two hour window!
But Noooooooo, a 14-hour window!

They told me if I wanted to have it delivered correctly, I should have sent it to my office. However, I didn't order the package, didn't know at that point who sent it, and so that wouldn't work.

I finally got it, and it was worth the wait, but how hard does it have to be!!!

Popular Posts